Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Transfer Rx = get $

Nothing fills me with more glee than getting gift certificates from transferring prescriptions from one pharmacy to another (or dropping off new ones). The fiance and I have amassed a collection of around $300 worth of gift certificates in the past 6 months. Due to the economy and my current lack of employment, this fills our minds at ease. If need be, even if both of us were unemployed (which thankfully isn't the case) we could eat and have enough basics for 3 months without worry). I usually keep one or two gift cards in my purse for low balances, especially for drugstore purchases.

However, there are some rules for doing this. Some states don't even allow gift cards to be given with prescriptions, thankfully, Maryland isn't one of them. But some of the other general rules are:

1. Limits for using them:
  • Rite Aid used to only let you use 1 coupon every 6 months - to my knowledge they have since changed their policy.
  • Safeway only allows you to use 1 coupon every 3 months - though I think maybe our pharmacy just made this up since it isn't on the coupons - check your local pharmacy.
  • Giant won't let you use a coupon if they recognize you from another time. Basically, there's no policy but the Giants I've frequented don't like giving you free money. Thankfully, there are several Giants close to our apartment so we just alternate.
2. What they can be used for:
  • Most drugstores won't let you use their giftcards to pay for more medication (although I've seen some people go into Giant and use giftcards at the pharmacy - double check before you go).
  • Most drugstore and supermarkets will not let you use their gift cards to purchase more gift cards (especially ones for other stores).
  • There may be other stipulations, when in doubt, check the coupon or ask customer service.
3. Limit on transfers: In this situation I only know of 1 stipulation - though I'm not sure if it's only with this one particular pharmacy or not. The last time I was at Rite Aid, the pharmacist said that controlled substances could only be transferred 1 time. I haven't done the necessary research to conclude whether this was true or not but just wanted to forewarn others.

Otherwise, transferring or filling something you are definitely going to use to get you some free grocery money is certainly helpful and frugal!

No comments: