Friday, January 16, 2009

Quiet Week

Haven't been shopping too much this week, though I may brave stores tomorrow.

I've been using up what we have in the house. Three days ago I made Chicken Corn Chowder soup which was a variation of a recipe from one of my cookbooks (this particular cookbook focuses only on soups, it is wonderful in the winter).

Basically, I boiled 4 chicken breasts from a previous shopping trip when boneless skinless chicken was under $2/lb and removed the breasts after they had cooked through. Then I added salt, pepper and this soup to the chicken broth. I then took a can of corn and pureed it with about 4oz of low-fat condensed milk, sauteed a whole chopped onion with garlic, honey, salt and some frozen corn (about 1/4 cup), chopped up one of the chicken breasts and added everything to the pot and cooked on low for 3 hours.

During the last hour I added a cup of rice and simmered everything on low after boiling for a couple minutes with the rice. What resulted is a creamy, rich tasting but low-fat corn chowder that we've had for dinner every night since. I used the V8 because I had bought it when it was on sale at Shoppers during one of their double/triple promotions and paid under a $1 for it, so the soup had a little zip but wasn't overwhelmingly hot.

Anyway, I hit Giant for some potatoes and more soy nog and CVS for milk this week:

Giant (January 14, 2009):
$.88 5 lb bag of white potatoes (on sale from $2.99)
$4.00 4 boxes of soy egg nog

= $4.88 Oop

And at CVS (today, the 16th) I picked up milk, though I put it on a gift card so I spent nothing out of pocket. We're trying to stay in because it is inaugural weekend and also freezing.

No comments: