Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Because I had to get my car inspected (long story) and drop it off at the shop, the Safeway stop I made had to be light enough that I wouldn't kill my back walking home. I did pick up additional fixings for the dinner I'll be making (recipe below, though I can't take credit for it, if you believe it, my 21 year old brother's invention) and some more Frosted Mini Wheats (surprise! surprise!). Also, I bought some expensive chocolate on clearance (70 cents a piece).

At my Safeway, there was a huge rack full of this chocolate near the dairy cases. As you can see, from one of the companies' websites, these bars usually go for $6 a piece! I might go back to stock up for gifts.

So, without further adieu the shopping receipt totals and recipe:

$.70 Chuao Chocolatier Spicy Maya
$.70 Chuao Chocolatier Chinita Nibs
$.70 Chuao Chocolatier Earl Grey
$.70 New Tree "Renew" Blackcurrant
$.69 can of corn
$.84 can of black beans
$1.39 enchilada sauce
$2.99 package of mexican cheese
$1.89 flour tortillas
$1.19 frozen spinach
$1.99 Kelloggs clearance brown sugar frosted mini wheats (we'll see if he likes these)
$2.50 Kelloggs frosted mini wheats

- $1/2 Kelloggs frosted mini wheats

= $15.28

Running weekly tally: $23.80

And now the recipe. I've never made it before, but my brother (when he's not at college) makes it every couple of weeks and it's delicious!

Its best to think of it as a lasagna.

1 package of flour tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce
1/2 small can green chiles*
1 can corn (with some of the liquid saved)
1 small onion
1 bag of spinach
1 can refried beans or pureed black beans
(added: ground beef)
1 bag of shredded mexican cheese
cumin
salt
pepper

depending on your casserole dish you'll need either a half or a whole package of 12 inch tortillas cut in half.

1. Quickly brown the onion and garlic in a pan, add the corn, green chiles and half a can of the beans. Heat on medium stirring. Add the spinach and the corn liquid, stirring until the spinach wilts a little. Add cumin, salt, and pepper and taste. Take of the heat and set this aside

2. Normally I heat the remaining bean puree to make it easier to spread.

3. Pour a little of the enchilada sauce into a bowl. Coat the tortilla halves in sauce. Spray the casserole dish with some nonstick and then pour a very thin layer of sauce in the bottom. Lay down the tortilla halves so that they form a little lip at the bottom of the pan.

4. Spread a little bit of the bean mixture, followed by the spinach stuff, then cheese then a little more of the sauce. Keep on repeating this pattern (tortilla, bean, spinach, cheese, sauce)

5. Make sure the top tortilla are well coated in the enchilada sauce and top it with the remaining cheese and optionally jalapeno slices.

6. Bake at 375 for 15-25 min until the thing is piping hot. Let sit and cut and enjoy.

* I'm not using the chiles because my boyfriend and I both have sensitive stomachs, and I'm adding some of the ground beef from a previous grocery trip.

Edit 6:45pm
The boyfriend really liked the casserole, even though he was dubious after I mentioned it had both spinach and corn in it. He even asked for a second helping! This recipe makes a lot of food, especially if you use a large shallow baking dish. I went through the full 2-3 pounds of beef, most of the spinach mixture, all of the sauce and all of the tortillas. We ate about 1/5 of it. I did alter the recipe slightly - I used whole black beans and mashed them with a potato masher with the spinach, corn and onions (healthier than refried beans).

All in all a success.

No comments: