Saturday, December 13, 2008

Apple Crisp

apple crisp

apple crisp

I made this delicious apple crisp a couple days ago because we still had about 1/4 of the bag of apples when they were on sale at Giant a few weeks ago for $.88/lb (in bag) and I hate for things to go to waste. I didn't have a whole lot in the house but thanks to the sales, I've been stocking up on baking supplies. And because this recipe doesn't call for anything really outrageous, I didn't even need to leave the house.

I took this recipe and altered a little bit.

Ingredients I used:

"filling"
5 med-large gala apples
1/4 stick butter (or a couple tablespoons)
1/2 cup sugar
several general shakes of cinnamon (I'd guess about 1/8 c. total)

"crust"
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 stick butter

For the filling, I basically cored, peeled and sliced the apples. Then I put them in a pot with the other ingredients and cooked them down on low covered till the apples had reduced and the liquid was brown and syrupy.

The crust was supposed to be easy. You basically combine the ingredients in a food processor or mixer till it becomes crumbly, but my food processor broke (thankfully it is still under warranty and they are sending me a new one) but I mixed all the ingredients by hand. I now know why something as simple as a crumb cake was a big to-do several years ago. It is a pain in the neck but delicious!

I put the apple mixer in a sprayed glass pan (Pam is my friend). Added the "crust" and smoothed out on top and then added a few more generous shakes of cinnamon and little more brown sugar.

Baked at 400 degree for 45 minutes till browned on top.

Not exactly the pinnacle of health, but few ingredients, especially if you are trying to create something before something (in this case the apples) go bad. This and banana bread are my 2 easy recipes when bananas and apples are about to go. I bet it would be good with any fibrous fruit - pears I think I'll do next.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: