Friday, November 21, 2008

Recipe: Onion Garlic Sauce with Pork (and rice and peas)

I promised my boyfriend I would write this recipe down because he really liked it. This is my own invention and basically that means that I throw ingredients into a pot, sniff, add some more, sniff, add some more, etc. Somehow this works out but don't go by these measurements exactly.

The most important part of this recipe is the onion garlic sauce.

It starts with 1 onion (I used sweet yellow - I'm sure any would do).

I sliced the onion and put it into a pot with about a Tbsp of oil (canola) - waited till they cooked down and turned clear.

I then added the following:
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper
a pinch of ground ginger
1 Tbsp ground garlic (the kind in a jar that's refrigerated)
2 tsp parsley (used dry)
1 tsp sweet basil (used dry)
a few generous shakes of onion flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
a few generous shakes of minced garlic (dried from jar)

When the onions start to turn golden I turned off the heat, and transferred the onions to a blender, added about 1/4-1/2c of teryaki sauce, 1/4-1/2c olive oil and about 1/4 c brown sugar. I then blended on liquify for about 30 seconds and then pulsed for another 10 seconds and transferred the contents back to the pot and turned it on low.

I then used the already cooked pork tenderloins I recently purchased at Shopper's. These are usually $6.99 for 5 small medallions of smoked pork, but I paid $4.99 because of a doubled coupon, and in the greater scheme of things, under $1 based on the number of items I purchased and the total for the grocery bill.

I took the tenderloins straight from the refrigerator and heated some more canola oil (not very much - just enough to coat the bottom) in a pan on high. I then sauteed the tenderloins till they were golden on both sides. I plated the tenderloins with some leftover rice and then added some frozen peas to the pan and sauteed them in the leftover "juices" from the pork.

Adding the peas to the plates, I added about 1 Tbsp of onion sauce to the plates and served. I wish I took a picture but the boyfriend was very hungry and it smelled so good.

There is about 1/4 cup of sauce leftover and 1 pork tenderloin (the boyfriend will be having it reheated tomorrow for lunch). This recipe would probably be good with chicken or salmon as well as the pork and could easily be doubled, tripled, etc.

Because of the coupon deals at Shopper's, I was able to make this for well under $5

No comments: