Sunday, August 30, 2009

Random Budget Tracking Stuff & Safeway Trip

I haven't blogged about some shopping trips since I've been a bit MIA.

Giant August 23rd, 2009: $6.39
Rite Aid August 23rd, 2009: $3.50
Rite Aid August 25th, 2009: $10.00
Giant August 29th, 2009: $2.99

The Rite Aid trips were for Frosted Mini Wheats. They ran a promotion if you spent $15 in select Kelloggs products, you get a $5 coupon towards those products in the mail and since we eat lots of Frosted Mini Wheats around here, it was worth it even at the $2.50 a box price.

Anyway, today I went to Safeway and did the currently running, buy 5 save $5 promotion. There are a ton more products included than in the ads. The ads only show maybe 6 different cereals. It's more like 30. So don't be put off if your family doesn't like the few cereals that look like they are on sale, there are others.

I bought 15 cereals. I know you are asking yourself why would I do such a crazy thing knowing we are moving in 2 weeks? My husband said the same thing when I came in the apartment after unloading the car. He was not happy to say the least.

Well, I needed to buy cereals in quantities of 5. If I was going to buy 5, I might as well buy 10 and do the Kelloggs rebate that was in the Sunday paper a couple weeks ago. And then of course, when I was in the aisle, I realized that to buy the cereal I wanted, it would be 12 and I might as well make it to 15. So there you go. Yes, it was a bit excessive and yes, my husband and I will be moving cereal into our new home after closing, but for the price I saved, it was worth it. Plus, I had a $5 off $50 coupon (which I didn't even get to - thankfully my cashier was super nice and passed it through even though my total before coupons was only $48.55).

So, I bought:
15 boxes of cereal (various brands, mostly Kelloggs though)
2 packs of Hunt pudding fat free (a staple in my lunch bag!)
1 box Special K bliss bars
1 box aluminum foil
3 bottles of Gatorade
1 loaf of wheat bread
5 lb sack of white potatoes
3.32 lbs of braeburn apples
2.52 lbs of nectarines
1 tube Burts Bees lip balm (free after coupon expires 8/31)

Spent: $27.50 OOP

Total Savings: $66.29 or 71%!

No comments: