Sunday, August 30, 2009

Milk

On my way home I was struck by the distinct change in milk prices over the last year or so and especially how different stores have been changing their price of milk significantly recently. For instance, when we first moved to the area, I almost solely bought my milk at CVS which generally ranged from $2.99 - $3.39 mostly because I had more Extrabucks than I knew what to do with and it was a convenient stop.

Along the way, I realized that milk was cheaper at places like Giant and significantly so, and they ran a milk promotion (no longer btw). Milk at Giant a week or so ago was $2.39 (worth the extra trip considering both stores were less than a mile away). Now I see that milk at Safeway and Giant are both the same price ($2.99) and Giant is no longer running the promotion so no longer worth the extra trip!

Now there are other reasons to buy CVS or Giant milk. Giant and CVS milk both come with a twist off cap and a sturdier bottle while the Safeway milk has a suction like top which seems more prone to leaking and what seems like a thinner bottle (to me anyway). But is this worth the extra trip? Maybe. Maybe not.

I think in the future I'll be keeping tabs on this. Of course, I am in the DC/Metro area so milk may be more or less (I'm guessing less) where you are - few people that actually read this blog. =)

Next up, my Safeway trip and how my husband seriously accosted me when I came home with 15 more boxes of cereal when we are moving in 2 weeks, stay tuned!

1 comment:

Laura said...

yikes.

makes me happy organic milk prices are pretty much the same across the board.