Saturday, February 28, 2009

CVS & Safeway

I have officially started at my new job (which is at the location we live so I have no commute - this is amazing in the DC area so I'm quite pleased!). Frugal wise, it has eliminated $110 on my car insurance bill (per 6 months) and cut down dramatically on my gas usage.

Yesterday, I popped by the CVS near us for some milk and today I was finally able to hit the Safeway deal. For someone that has had no time to prepare, I think I did pretty well but you be the judge.

CVS February 27 Friday:

$8.99 Schick razor
$3.59 gallon skim milk

- $2.00/1 Schick
- $10.00 Extrabucks

= $.58 Oop (paid cash)
received $4 back for the Schick deal.

Safeway:
February 28th Saturday (today)

On my list was lunch meat (generally pricey but I somehow got a deal), little oven-ready meals for the fiance when I'm not home, bread and the chill out promotion. I also needed to spend $50 pre-coupons to take advantage of the $10 off coupon.

I bought:

$0.00 1 liter Diet Mountain Dew (free after coupon)
$2.61 3 bottles at $.87 a bottle of Safeway brand orange creme seltzer (I've become addicted - this is bad)
$.99 Kelloggs Frosted Mini Wheats cereal (after coupon)
$1.69 Dr Pepper (which was free after coupon sent to us - in fact it took $1.99 off which gave me $.30 overage!)

$4.00 Green Giant meals for 1 to go (I had a $.50 that doubled making it $3.00)
$2.79 Green Giant steamfresh bags (had $.50 that doubled making it $1.79)
$2.79 Green Giant steamfresh bags (had $.50 that doubled making it $1.79)
$3.50 Kelloggs Special K waffles (had $.75 that doubled making it $2.00)
$1.77 Eggo Chocolate Chip waffles
$1.99 Totinos pizza rolls (had $.35 that doubled making it $1.29)
$1.99 Totinos pizza rolls (had $.35 that doubled making it $1.29)
$4.00 2 bags frozen corn
$4.00 2 bags frozen peas
(spent $26.83 before coupons on frozen foods - didn't have my calculator with me so I'm impressed!)

$.99 Lucerne sweet cream butter (after coupon)
$6.00 8 jars of Yoplait (had $1/8)

$7.98 2 large bags of Tysons chicken nuggets (special sale today and tomorrow)

$21.00 6 packages of Oscar Meyer shaved deli meat (on sale for 2/$7 - found blinkies $1/2 - used 3 and then there is a buy 5 save $5 at checkout so I spent $13 on all 6 or a little over $2 a package - not bad!)

$1.09 loaf ovenjoy wheat bread

- $10/$50

= $42.50 out of pocket
total savings $61.15 or 59%!

And if that weren't enough, I received the $10 towards a future frozen food purchase from the promotion! Not sure if this can be rolled into another round of the chill-out promotion but I can certainly use it either way!

Over budget this week and possibly for the month but I'll write up a budget summary post in a little bit.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

You can successfully "roll" the Check out my second shopping trip.. http://soyoucantoo.blogspot.com/2009/02/safeway-trip-for-week-of-march-1st.html